THE OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAM INCLUDE:
- Improvement in mood, anxiety and anger.
- Development of skills such as assertive communication or boundary setting.
- Develop stress management techniques such as the ability to take time out, share and ask for help.
- Development of relaxation techniques.
- Reduction in cognitive distortions which increase dysfunction and increase depression, anxiety or anger.
- Addressing other co-occurring issues if present.
- Development of acceptance of self, based upon respect for each person’s uniqueness.
- Ability to accept feelings and emotions and development of skills to modulate them, rather than be afraid of them.
- Involvement of family and friends in mental health recovery.
TOPICS FOR MENTAL HEALTH EDUCATION GROUPS INCLUDE:
- What are Feelings
- Self Soothing
- Crisis Management
- Relapse Prevention
- Drama Triangle
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.
- Problem Solving/Goal Setting
- Stress and Caring
- Cognitive Distortions
- Medication Management
Cognitive Behavioral Skills and Practice are integrated into the educational sessions and process groups.
- Daily thought and mood recording.
- Practicing Reframing of thoughts.
- 10 common cognitive errors.
- Core Belief and the Childhood contribution to Core Belief.
- Challenging negative distorted thinking and beliefs.
- Practicing techniques that work best for that individual.
At the end of the program the patient is provided with a discharge plan and is referred back to the referring specialist.